1981 z28 350

i just got an 81 z28. i just sold a 76 t.a.. i found the code for the gear ratio on the front of the r.s. of the rear end on the t.a., but i can't find it on the z28. can someone please tell me where it is. also can i take
the carb off and replace it with a holley and not mess the car up because of the computer? thanks for any info.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:07:01 GMT, "mike tammaro via CarKB.com"

If you take the carb off then the SES light will come on and anything that the computer would normally be doing will be wrong because of bad input. You should replace the distributor if you are going to replace the carbeurator. Save the old parts, someone might have a use for them and pay you handsomely.
Your easiest way is to jack up the rear ( in neutral )and have someone hold one tire still and rotate the other wheel 1 full revulsion and count how many times the drive shaft spins.
3:73 = 1 rotation wheel = 3 and 3/4 rotation of the shaft.

take

Better think that one over:)
Al
When I mean jack it up I am referring to supporting it with jack stands (the safe way) also note this is for a dog-leg rear not a posi or limited slip.....
this worked for my 78 posi TA ( 2:56 rear) My 81 Z (3:42 dog leg) and my other 81 Z ( 3:08 dog leg)
Ron is also correct...The Check engine light will come on. The computer controls the ignition timing advance and retard, no vacuum or mechanical advances are in this distributor. (pull the cap off to see, that I'm telling the truth) The holley carb may fit on the engine but check for hood clearance first and you might loose the air induction function of the factory hood scoop.
Stan

BAD 4 GOOD wrote:

The issue is that with an open diff, holding one wheel will double the turns of the driveshaft due to the spider gears in the diff. To get a one to one you would need to turn both tires together.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

If the car has had only a few owners....you might try looking for the build sheet, behind the rear seat.
Pull out the lower seat sections (cushions) remove 2 -7/16 bolts with big washers( one on each side )
Pull the bottom edge of the seat forward gently and feel up behind for a note book size piece of paper...use caution,it will tear VERY easily.
This is the build sheet...it has all the info on it. If no build sheet available you'll have to go through the jack up method.
How fast is the car going at 2000/2500/3000 RPM?
Mine has 3:42 gearing, Tachs close to 3000 at 70 mph in 4th ( 4-speed car)
What state are you in?
Stan

both
THANKS STAN. I AM IN FLORIDA. I KNOW IF ITS A CAL.CAR IT SHOULD HAVE 3.42S, AND FOR THE OTHER STATES ITS A 3.08. IT COMES FROM THE PLANT IN CAL. SO I WAS HOPING ITS A 3.42. I WILL BE LOOKING FOR THE BUILD SHEET, THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INFO. MIKE

Mike , I'm also in FLA....Daytona Beach area.....
Take care...........Stan

3.42S,
hey stan, im in spring hill. pretty far away. thanks again. mike