1988 chevy camaro

I ran out of gas in my camaro (1988 RS, 6 cyl fuel injected), and after I put gas in it, it started once but wouldn't go (seemed to not be getting fuel). The car die and now won't start at all. The starter engages but it acts like it is not getting fuel. Car ran fine before I ran out of gas.

Reply to
justmeamore

Hasn't anyone ever told you that it is a bad thing to run a fuel injected car out of fuel. The pumps don't like to lose their load, bad things can happen, like overheating the motor, or damaging the internals. Good luck.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

You need to check and see if you still have fuel pressure.

Reply to
JimV

Check the fuel filter. You could have sucked up some junk into the fuel system from the bottom of the tank when you ran it dry.

Reply to
lobo

Also check the pump as running the pump dry can kill it.

Reply to
Cy Welch

The same thing happened to a buddy of mine with a 2001 Cavalier. What you have to do is build the fuel pressure back up to what is necessary to power the engine(I think around 37-45 psi). How you do this is you repeatedly turn the key to the "run" position, but DO NOT START IT. That will only wreak havoc on your fuel system and starter. Leave it on until you audibly hear the fuel pump safety switch turn off(the thing that kills your fuel line if your engine dies and you are in a wreck). Do this about twenty times, and by then, the pressure should be built up enough to try and start it. If it does not start almost immediately, assuming it's not cold out and all that, then try repeat the previous step for about another five minutes or so. After you get the car running, make sure to have a mechanic inspect the fuel pump, as this procedure is very hard on it.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak