1990 IROC-Z VATS problem

Recently, my IROC doesn't start, but only sometimes, usually when its a hot day. I,m 99% sure its a VATS problem, as I've already replace my starter, thinking that it was a solenoid problem. Plus, sometimes the Security light doesn't go off and thats when the car won't start. Won't even turn over. Seems to be worse when its hot outside. If I wait a little while, it usually starts, especially if its parked in the shade.

I've had the module go bad before and I had it replaced, but at least then the car would turn over. Now, it doesn't even turn over.

I believe the problem to be the key and ignition cylinder, but don't know for sure. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

Didn't get any responses on this. But, I did figure out what the problem was. Replacing the key/ignition cylinder seems to have taken care of the problem. Been driving it for 2 weeks in hot weather with no problems. I believe there was a loose connection or the resistor on the key wasn't making good contact with the two contacts in the key cylinder. Because of the loose connection, the computer/vats module sensed that the system was being tampered with. So, it disables itself for several minutes. Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem.

By the way, replacing the key cylinder requires removing the air bag, steering wheel, and several parts with the steering. column area. Its a real pain in the ass. Took me about 6 hours. If you've never removed an air bag, its pretty easy. Just make sure you follow the procedure in the manual to prevent accidental deployment of the air bag. The hardest part was putting the spring-loaded steering wheel lock back in place and installing the keepers. Also fishing the ignition cylinder wires back through the steering column was pretty difficult. The key and ignition cylinder cost $110. And, I had to buy a steering wheel puller for $20. And, spend a Saturday afternoon.

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman