1992 RS camaro elect. problem.

I am smelling something hot behind the dash it's definetly electrical. Where do I start to see if this can be fixed economicaly? Is there a recomended repair
manual? Would it be more practical to have the loom replaced rather than troubleshoot it? I've heard electrical problems can be a nightmare to correct,but I really like my car.Thanks for your time.
Hi,
I have seen the electrical harness that goes over the steering column short out on the steering column bracket which might cause what you're talking about. You said that it's getting hot. Is is blowing fuses?
The way to check is to drop the steering column and feel around the bracket where it is mounted to the dash. There should be a harness there. When I worked for Chevrolet (back in 1990) I did see this. It wasn't common but it did happen. If you see a shorted wire, you need to fix the wire and then insulate the wire to keep it from shorting against the bracket again. You might try foam rubber. Make sure that you fix the problem first. You don't want to put foam rubber into a place where it is exposed to a harness that is overheating.
My two cents, for whatever it's worth.

recomended repair manual? Would it be more practical to have the loom replaced rather than troubleshoot it? I've heard electrical problems can be a nightmare to correct,but I really like my car.Thanks for your time.

David, Thanks for the suggestion, we will check it out over the holiday. as for fuses? yes it blew the one that controls the horn,overhead lite,trunk latch and cigarette lighter.I called chevy and they suggested it may be the heater core. maybe the blower motor? thanks again for your time. Patti