2000 V6 Camaro - Need Advice

I bought a 2000 Camaro-V6 back in November. It had only 17000 actual miles on it at the time of purchase.

I'd like to start doing modifications to it to increase power and make it look better.

I'm basically looking for suggestions on where you all think I should start. I'm looking initially for inexpenisive things I can...(under $300) and then maybe move on to bigger things later on.

I wanted a v8 but could never of afforded the insurance.

I know i'll never make a v6 a v8..but i'd like to do whatever i can to make that v6 as close as i can to a v8..powerwise.

Reply to
ShaneR

Eventually you can have the v6 as fast as the v8 or faster, but the top end would always rule with a v8.

Just my muffler and tips were 395$. It gets expencive for a v6.

Reply to
Larry Durst

i'm no mechanic, but is it dangerous to put too much power behind the v6 if it's not made for that much power?

for the muffler and tips was that installed for that price?

i'm looking at flowmasters.. how did it help the sound of the car...? give it that v8 like sound?

Reply to
ShaneR

I also have a 2000 V6 and can understand the insurance problem! I've done a couple of things that are relatively inexpensive and have helped.

Cheapest so far: Pull one of the screws holding down the air intake and run to the nearest hardware store and buy four longer screws, same size (they are metric) and a dozen washers. Remove the four screws, use the washers to provide lift for the intake and use the longer screws to tighten it all down. This increases the areas that air can flow in from. Cost: less than $5

K&N Filter can't hurt and probably further reduces intake restriction. It will pay for itself eventually, since it's washable and reusable. Cost: about $50

Final intake mod so far has been to replace the air intake cover with a Whisper lid from Thunderracing.com Cost: $140

My exhaust has been freed up using a muffler from a 2002 Camaro SS. I bought a take off muffler and intermediate pipe on eBay for $105 (no shipping, since seller was within driving distance for me). Installation of muffler alone was $60.

Combined, there is a definite improvement in power (better than it was, still no V8). The wife complains that the car is too loud (I leave for work while she is still "asleep"). It sounds about perfect to me. She will appreciate it more when I take things further!

Coming soon: 160 degree thermostat, Hypertech tuner, "free" or SLP Ram Air kit. Non horsepower items purchased and adding soon include BMR Strut Tower Brace, polyurethane bushings for front and rear sway bars, Z28 19mm rear sway bar, Zexel-Torsen Limited Slip differential, and 17 inch Camaro SS take off rims (when current rubber wears out).

Later: Headers, larger catalyst, SS Intermediate pipe, MSD Ignition, upgraded brakes, maybe LE1 front and rear sway bars. Dare I hope for a supercharger?

Have fun, Steve

Reply to
Steve Laske

Not true, you can throw lots of power behind a 6.

Simple upgrades: Cold Air Lid (in your case) Cat back Exhaust Hi-Flow Cat

8mm wires

The 3.8 has alot of potential. My was pretty impressive, but I went far beyond your simple upgrades.

Reply to
98 Camaro

No reason for a 160 thermo. Trust me on this one. My 160 thermo is used as a paper weight now.

Reply to
98 Camaro

muffler and tips were installed for 395, sounds awsome and looks great.

Reply to
Larry Durst