2nd gen engine swap

Just looking for a little info here............

have an 80 Z28 with a 350 and have sitting around a newly rebuilt 396 which is getting lonely.

any problems you guys can think of that i may run in to?

also, what changes will i need to make.... engine mounts, engine mount location on crossmember, tranny, driveshaft.

any help is greatly appreciated.

if you know of any sites with helpful info on this swap, that would also be awesome.

thanks everyone,

80
Reply to
80z28

I've done a few in my time, depending on which transmission is in the car, and which replacement you will put in, is what will determine driveshaft length.

In 1973 they started using the motor mounts with the cage on the block, but will still fit up.

The only problen that I can possibly forsee is: The motor mount pirches on the frame, came in three different setbacks till a certain year: Small block, big block and big block with A/C.

Whick only affected the old blade type throttle linkage, if the motor was set back too far. If you have a cable throttle. I see no problem, except as I mentioned with transmission changes.

Refinish King

PS

Remember to replace the coil springs, otherwise the negative camber will wipe out the inside of the tires fast!

Reply to
Refinish King

definately NEW front springs and shocks :) the tranny currently in it will be replaced... is a turbo 350 right now.... either sticking with same only rebuilt or a turbo 400.

just put in a new 3.73 posi, so car is almost a go... just need the GO part in the front now :)

thanks for the info!

Reply to
80z28

The 400 and 350 have different size universals,

Lakewood makes one to adapt it, but a good drive line shop can give you one in Neapco, I don't remember the number but it's $40.00 cheaper.

The TH 400 uses a bigger yoke, I forget the spline count, and the drive shaft will be a different length.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

i will probably stick to the th350 - everything i have heard is that it is almost as strong and about 40 pounds lighter - so the advantage is minor for going to a 400

Reply to
80z28

Reply to
Stephen