327 Clutch/flywheel diameter

Is there any way to tell what size the clutch on a 327 3 on the tree diameter is without cracking the case?
I'm trying to get my parts together to make this a one day deal. Can
I get an 11" clutch and flywheel and drop them both in even if it turns out originally it was a 10 (or 10-1/2")?
If it matters, the drive train is a 1968 250 HP 2 bolt main matched to a 1966 (?) three speed that I'm pretending is for a Camaro but is really for my Elky. Godaemit, nothing is simple...
lab~rat >:-) wrote:

You might be able to get an idea what size the flywheel is by looking at the starter, if it has one short bolt and one long bolt holding it on, it's a small flywheel, and most likely a 10.5" clutch. I think.
But if the starter has two long bolts, it could be 11", or maybe smaller, or maybe even bigger (they used 12" clutches in trucks!)
--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
Checking the starter bolts is a good way to tell. The one long and one short bolt in aside by side pattern is the small flywheel / clutch package. I believe the small clutch was only 10" back in the 60's. The two long bolts in a staggered pattern was for the big flywheel with the 11" clutch. If you have the small flywheel right now, you will need to get the larger bellhouse if you want to go with the 11" clutch. I went through the same project myself several years ago. - Gary

puked

Thanks guys, it is a long and short bolt. I replaced the starter recently and found a 'surprise' in there, so I figured I might as well replace the flywheel with the clutch... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
lab~rat >:-) wrote:

If the flywheel is the small one, and the bellhousing is close to the flywheel at the bottom, then you'll need to change the bellhousing if you go to the larger flywheel. I think the last 3 digits of the big bellhousing casting number is 621. I think I have one hanging on the wall in my garage. I think I have half a dozen 14" flywheels on a shelf in one of the sheds in the "magic kingdom" (what my friend calls my junk collection).
But you should be ok with the small flywheel, if you get a decent clutch.
--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
puked:

10.5" it was. And the flywheel was in good shape, the little shop down the street faced it while I waited. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?