327 Clutch/flywheel diameter

Is there any way to tell what size the clutch on a 327 3 on the tree diameter is without cracking the case?

I'm trying to get my parts together to make this a one day deal. Can I get an 11" clutch and flywheel and drop them both in even if it turns out originally it was a 10 (or 10-1/2")?

If it matters, the drive train is a 1968 250 HP 2 bolt main matched to a 1966 (?) three speed that I'm pretending is for a Camaro but is really for my Elky. Godaemit, nothing is simple...

lab~rat >:-)

You might be able to get an idea what size the flywheel is by looking at the starter, if it has one short bolt and one long bolt holding it on, it's a small flywheel, and most likely a 10.5" clutch. I think.

But if the starter has two long bolts, it could be 11", or maybe smaller, or maybe even bigger (they used 12" clutches in trucks!)

Reply to
J Forbes

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:03:11 GMT, "lab~rat >:-)" puked

Thanks guys, it is a long and short bolt. I replaced the starter recently and found a 'surprise' in there, so I figured I might as well replace the flywheel with the clutch...

lab~rat >:-)

If the flywheel is the small one, and the bellhousing is close to the flywheel at the bottom, then you'll need to change the bellhousing if you go to the larger flywheel. I think the last 3 digits of the big bellhousing casting number is 621. I think I have one hanging on the wall in my garage. I think I have half a dozen 14" flywheels on a shelf in one of the sheds in the "magic kingdom" (what my friend calls my junk collection).

But you should be ok with the small flywheel, if you get a decent clutch.

Reply to
J Forbes

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:03:11 GMT, "lab~rat >:-)" puked:

10.5" it was. And the flywheel was in good shape, the little shop down the street faced it while I waited.

lab~rat