350 not starting/backfire

i just put a 350 in my 1987 camaro, now its not starting, and i put it at TDC? when i messed with the timing i got it to start but it ran really ruff. please help i need to get the car running. thanks for any
help.
On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:22:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich None) wrote:

The question that begs to be asked is wether or not the TDC is on the compression stroke, if you don't know you better start over and get the distributor in the correct position. I've done it myself as a teenager. I think that it could be considered a right of passage.
i can get it to run but it runs really ruff,sounds like its gonna blow or something. i was thinking about tring to re-lash the vavles. i know the timming is right. also found that my cap is broke, but i aint sure if that would do it. thanks any other suggestions?
Rich None spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

We need more information. What year? Engine? What have you tried recently to solve this?
NOI
A bad cap would do it. It sends the spark to the wrong cylinder. Try the cap replacement first.

Its funny you should say that, today i went and bought a new cap and rotor just for the hell of it becouse i tried everything else and it fired right up. thanks alot for your help everyone. now i have a new problem.