350 upgrade: can I use stock camshaft?

Hi there,

I have a stock '75 camaro with 350 engine, 2-barrel carb that did 145hp from factory.

What I did so far: replace exhaust manifold with headers, and new dual exhausts.

So now, the engine can exhale properly. But the power is still very modest, so I want to tackle the inhaling process.

I am considering a Edelbrock carb and Edelbrock intake. My garage wants to combine this with a new cam. I figure that a camshaft upgrade is rather invasive, and takes time and money.

My question to the gurus here: Does a new carb + new intake make sense without replacing the camshaft? Or will I only see HP improvement if I do all three?

Thanks!

Bram Stolk

Reply to
Bram Stolk

If you put an intake and carbeurator without replacing the cam then in all likelyhood you'll end up with a bog monster. As in every time you put your foot to the floor the carbeurator will be trying to stuff more air and fuel into the engine than the valves are opening to accept. A good mechanic may be able to tune it to the old cam but the power gains I think will be negligable.

A well matched intake, cam, and carb package that uses your heads and piston to their full effects is what you want for the most bang for the dollar. A cam kit generally will only set you back at most $100 before the mechanics mark up.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Thanks Ron,

This is valuable info for me. I will go for the full monty then.

I hope my post-oilcrisis neutered camaro will growl like a proper camaro, after this.

Bram

Reply to
Bram Stolk