3rd gen Auto Gearshift knob removal

My buddy has spilt so many cokes in his console that the plates on the gear shift are glued together.
I only drive manuals, and for them the knob just screws off.
Can someone tell me how to get the knob off an automatic transmission shifter? Jeff N. Cantwell Downtown Little Rock
NRA, ARPA, Libertarian '86, '91 300zx 2+2
t handle type-
Move lever into low, use a pick or very small screwdriver and pry the metal retainer out ( forward to the front) The retainer looks like a thick staple. sTAn

Thanks Stan!
Any idea why his key is stuck in the ignition?
I'm pretty sure that's NOT from cokes. I'm going to try some penetrating oil this weekend.

Jeff N. Cantwell Downtown Little Rock
NRA, ARPA, Libertarian '86, '91 300zx 2+2
Jeff Cantwell wrote:

It's probably because it's not moving the neccesary linkage to the park position (and it is probably related to the coke) to release the interlock. You can't move it out of part with the key all the way off, and you can't turn the key all the way off without the shifter in the park position. If the parts are not all moving, it's likely that the linkage (at least the key interlock portion) is stuck in something other than park.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer