4th-gen F-Body: Drop the engine?

How do you remove the engine from the bottom?

I just bought a 1994 Trans-Am that needs some engine work (oil smoke). The Haynes service manual section on engine removal states that the preferred method of engine removal is through the bottom, and there is no safe way for a home mechanic to raise the car that high without a lift. Thus, for liability reasons I'm sure, they say nothing about how to drop the engine from the bottom.

I have access to a car lift, and yanking the engine out through the hood looks really unpleasant. I can figure out the details, but what parts stay with the chassis and what comes out with the engine? Any tips?

Also, at 130k miles, are there any known trouble areas with the LT1 engine?

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-g

Reply to
Number82