67 Camaro Firewall painting/protecting

Hi, I have a 67 rs camaro that I just bought and am starting to dig in and fix up. I was wondering in anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to the firewall as far as paining it to preserve it? The fire wall
is in great condition and I want to try to keep it that way. I'm not looking to make this a show piece just a great looking cruiser. I wanted to POR15 the whole thing but I was told I have to take it down to bare metal 1st then use the 4 step process to prepair/paint it. I know thats probably the best way to do it but it is in nice condition and tearing everything off and scraping down to metal is alot to go thru. I dont want to open a big can of worms and was wondering if there were any other options. The original 6cyl is in the car but will be coming out for a smallblock. I want to work around the 6 cyl for now cause I want the car drivable as I work on it. There is a ton of room to work on the firewall with the engine in there now. Anny suggestions, products, recomendations???
Thanks Gary