68 Camaro-no power to the starter

Help Guys ! :-) My long-time 68 project Camaro is ready to startup after years of preparation. I'm getting power at the fuse box; headlights and taillights work; but when I hit the ignition key nothing happens. The
large purple wire going to the starter is not getting power. I can crank the engine over with a remote starter switch and the battery & starter are brand new. I removed the ignition switch and checked it with a multi-meter and I think it's ok. I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this. Thanks ! Beth
Beth wrote:

Probably has something to do with the neutral safety switch....look for a disconnected pair of purple wires near the shifter or clutch pedal or tranny (depending on whether it's automatic or manual, column or floor shift, etc). They need to be connected together.
That ought to get you started.
<groan>
--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
Manual Transmission cars didn't have Clutch pedal switches back in '68, but if it's an automatic it could well be the neutral switch. Another possibility could be that you have the starter and coil wires reversed on the solenoid. That's an easy mistake to make. Good luck - Gary

Thanks ! The trans is an automatic, so it probably is the neutral safety switch. Thanks for getting me started :-)
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Beth) wrote in message

Hi Beth,
The long awaited project is almost over! Gary is correct, starting in 1970 is when standard transmissions had a neutral safety switch. With that being said, if you have an auto floor console, the purple wire is the power wire and its routed through that area, so check that.I have seen people take out the floor console and just stick a shifter on the floor, so look carefully in the inside near the firewall and make sure you find a connector. If its an auto on the floor the neutral safety switch is part of the shifter.I will give you the adjustment procedure for the switch. If you have a column mounted shifter place it in drive. 2. align the slot in the contact support with the hole in the switch and insert a 3/32 in diameter pin to hold it in place. The switch is in the drive position now. 3. Place the contact support drive slot over the drive tang. Install and tighten the mounting screws.4 Remove the pin and reassemble. Now if you have an auto, I would check the switch or take it out of the circuit for now and see if you get power to the starter( just put a jumper where the Neutral safety switch is for now). I would also disconnect the coil for now( you don't need the coil to crank the car, just don't crank it too long if you find the fix). You just want to trace the power wires to the starter and get it cranking. Make sure that the firewall plug that connects the front wiring is on and its tighten . There is one bolt holding it in place( if that bolt is not on it will cause problems).
If you have long enough leads on your testor, ohm out the ignition key circuit wires to the starter and then check it from the neutral safety switch, if it applies to you and then trace it back to the ignitiion key. You should find some open wire there. I might be jumping around here because I haven't had my java fix, so I hope I made some sense............
Good Luck
ed 68SS camaro 355