79 z28 fuel pump pushrod dropped

Hi - I am changing out my Z's fuel pump because near as I can tell it is bad, it would supply my Quadrajet with no gas at all. When I pulled the old pump off the push road dropped all the way down and I do not
know how to raise it again to get the pump finger back underneath it.
The autoparts store supplied me with a new pump, but I see it has only two connections, not three. Is this the wrong pump? I am guessing the missing connection is the return line to the tank?
Any and all help is appreciated
Thank-you
First, yes, you have the wrong pump. You need one with the return line.
Second, what do you mean by dropped down? Do you mean it slid out against the sheet metal mounting plate? If that's the case there is a trick to holding it in place until you mount the pump. There is a bolt hole in the front of the block that lines up with the push rod. It may be used to mount an accessory to the front of the block, or it may just have a bolt in place for no apparent purpose. This was originally used for the front motor mounts on the 55-57 Chevys. The bolt hole goes all the way through the front of the block. If you temporarily use a longer bolt in the hole, you can pin the pushrod in place while you mount the pump. Make sure you put the original bolt back in place with plenty of permatex on the threads when your done.
Gary

Gary - KQ6RT (NoMoreSpam) wrote:

Yep, it slid down and hit the plate, I had seen the plate there mounted with 2 bolts , but was not going to tear down any farther until I had advice and the correct pump. When remounting that plate, does it need any sealer on the side mounted to the block? The pump has it's own gasket of course, should I seal that gasket too? With what? When I was 19, (I'm 38 now) I used some type of sealer that came in a small container (with a indian head on it maybe?) I think the sealer was brown, and thin. Thanks for you help - Rich
I remember the Indian Head gasket sealer too. I've never used it myself, but I saw some in the store not too long ago. I think it's pretty simular to Permatex.
There should be a gasket that goes between the plate and the block. If you can't find one, just use RTV.
Gary

I've done this a hundred times and never had to remove the plate. Just put your finger in there and work it up. When you put a bolt in the front hole to hold the rod, be easy. You don't want to score the rod. There is a special bolt for this with a plastic tip. If you just tighten the bolt enough to hold the rod it will be fine.
Al

No more than finger tight!
Gary

To get it back up I always used a paper clip bent to slid down under the bottom of it and get it up until I could push it all the way back up. Then as mentioned put a longer 3/8" bolt in the upper hole in the front of the block (after you remove the short one) finger tight just enough to hold it in place and don't forget to take it back out and reinstall original with some kind of sealer on it when done. Good Luck
OK the pushrod and new pump are connected, I still have no gas. I have the line disconnected from the carb and it's pushing no fuel.
Anybody have a theory besides the possible obvious - a plugged line.
No sign of any fuel under the car, no sign of any fuel being drawn.
message

OK the pushrod and new pump are connected, I still have no gas. I have the line disconnected from the carb and it's pushing no fuel.
Anybody have a theory besides the possible obvious - a plugged line.
No sign of any fuel under the car, no sign of any fuel being drawn.
message

Try a new fuel filter and also follow the line back all the way to the tank replacing any questionable pieces of rubber hose you may find.

I disconnected from the gas tank and used a gas can instead, it is not drawing from the can either.
wrote:

message
Dumb question but does it run if you put gas in the carb ? Just making sure it does run and didn't lose a timing chain completely. As long as the cam is turning and the lobe is not wiped out on the fuel pump lobe on the cam, there is almost no explanation of why it won't pump from a can. Not being smart but are you sure you are hooked to the inlet on the pump ? Also are you sure the rod didn't drop back down and the pump went on anyway ? Did you do the bolt from the front method to reinstall ? if so did you take the long one back out ? if not maybe that is holding the rod in the fully extended position.

Two possibilities: Bad pump, hole in a line between the pump and the rear of the car. I'm assuming you did not hook the pump up backwards? The fuel pump will pump air, is air coming out of the fuel line to the carb.?
Al