'86 CHMSL

CHMSL = center high mounted stop light
It's mounted externally, on the roof side of the hatchback glass. This was the first and only year Z28's and IROC-Z's had this
unique feature.
I'm perplexed because this item seems to appear or disappear, dependant upon what State the car was sold in. I've seen (allegedly authentic) cars without it!
What is reality, about this brake light thingy? Are '86 Camaros without a CHMSL counterfeit? Don't DOT rules apply consistently, throughout the contiguous States?
Thanx, Smiteman
What is reality, about this brake light thingy? Are '86 Camaros without a CHMSL counterfeit? --------------------------------------------------------- They have a hatch installed from another car? Due to replacing a rusted original? Only thing I can think of... 86 was the only year of the externally mounted brake light because it was an ugly feature that was a standard... 87 and later were mounted in the rear spoiler.

Why in the hell would ANYBODY want to counterfiet a 1986 Chevy Camaro? The very idea just seems ubsurd.

You would be surprised at the things Idiots do to cars. They will try to counterfeit GTA's, IROC's, and 92 RS cars. Hell if I like the way one looks, even if it started life as a base model Ill buy it. If it happens to have GTA emblems or IROC decals(or painted lettering) on the doors, Ill remove it. Then sell it for what it is after I'm tired of it. Ill get pretty much what it would as if it were a GTA or IROC, because I will make it clean, and look good.
A buddy of mine has a 1987 Monty Carlo LS. I sold him my 1988 Monty Carlo SS parts car (for next to nothing). The LS was hit across the nose, and it's getting the frame from under a 87 Cutlass Classic. Someone asked me once Will the SS parts make it a real SS? I told them "Not really, nor will it ever be claimed to be a SS". Just a cool looking car saved from death. Charles

Oh I know, counterfieting GTAs is fairly common (saw a fake in a junker a couple of months back). At least those cars are somewhat special, they're selling points that would command more money (even if only slightly). Who would go out of their way to counterfiet (or purchase for that matter) an '86 Camaro? Would anyone search out that one special car with a bigger blind spot than the rest?