86 IROC Problems

About 2 years I made a purchase of a 1986 Camaro IROC-Z (305tpi). I wasnt very literate as far as cars go, and since then regret the purchase, but that being said, i still wish to Identify the problem, as I plan on keeping it as a "project car"

The car has numberous problems, and several things I later found out were broken after I had purchased it. According to an auto body shop, both stabilizer links were broken, both air filters were missing, and the fuel filter was either broken or needed replaced (forget which), and I was a few bolts on my exaust, leaving a leak. The problems he mentioned that this would bring though , didnt exactly match up with the (horriable) expiriance I am having

For starters , I can only fill my gas tank with approximately 5-7 gallons of gas. When the gas is less then optimal (< 1/2 tank) it seems to have major problems running. The engine warning light goes on, car drives really rough. Sometimes this seems to happen with about a half tank of gas, but at those times I realize I can fill it up about

4 gallons, so perhaps the gage is a bit off aswell. When the gas is nearly empty, it only lets me fill it about 6 gallons though. The amount of fuel I can put into my car has been going down over the past 2 years, and im not really sure what to think of it.

Occasionaly out of the blue my engine light goes on, it seems like my car "skips" a beat, like it dies and catches itself. sometimes during this time if i slow down the car (for instance to a red light), the car stalls. Restarting the car usualy fixes this problem (but not always).

The other night I was out dropping a friend off in a nearby city, car showed half a tank, started running rough, i made the mistake of turning it off, and it wouldent turn over, eventualy I managed to get it up, took it to a gas station, filled it to the brim (the guy at the pump said he was supprised i said i was out of gas, because he could only put in 5 gallons), after that it seemed to run ok.

If anyone has any idea what to look for, check out, things to try, etc, please help me out here!

Richard Paul Cesar

Reply to
rpcesar

Fuel filter, fuel pump, and read the codes to find out what is being reported. Sounds like you have several problems, but I would guess first off that the fuel pump is going which might be clogging the fuel filter. You could also have injector problems. I would recommend finding a good shop that understands these cars and can actually tell you what the problem is.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Cy,

Reply to