88 Camaro engine swap

I am swapping the original 305 TBI for a 350 TPI. I was wondering if a wiring harness for an 88 IROC would work. I was told the engine is out of an 86 Camaro, but am not sure. I believe I need to change fuel pumps also. It's an 88 Camaro w/ a 5-speed. Any info would help. Thanx.

Reply to
jbonez

If the 88' wiring harness had a V-8 w/ 5 speed then it was a 305ci motor. Not that the swap wouldn't work. Some more information is needed to help you along on your quest. The wiring harness should be the same, but the ECM (Puter) may also need to be changed.

Need to know... old engine fuel induction method (TBI, Carb, TPI ) Trans type, ci. Newer engine fuel, transmission, etc. Wiring harness is from an 88' TPI in front of a 5 speed?

The more info you can give the better we can help you.

...ROn

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Although I cant help with your question, I too have been interested in replacing my 305 TPI with a larger motor.

I've been told by reputable mechanics however that I'd have to replace the shocks, struts, brakes and transmission.. and that it just wouldnt be worth the $:power ratio.

RSCamaro wrote:

Reply to
James E. King

"James E. King"

Reputable?????? Sounds like they're just looking for extra cash. Part #'s are the same whether the car had a 5.0 or a 5.7 (not counting 1LE cars) A big block swap, needs new front springs to handle the extra weight. The transmission should be able to handle the power. I would suggest a new rear for a BB swap.

Reply to
Rob K

In your case, replacing the 305 with a larger engine such as a 350 would not mean replacing the suspension components unless you wanted the car to handle better. After all the wieght change would be minimal if any at all. I believe that as long as you aren't asking too much from the engine you can use all of your original induction components. Most people that I've read about replaced the injectors though to the larger GPH units as well as raising the fuel pressure.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

Things to be looked at: PROM in the ECU (1 for auto, 1 for standard) The fuel pump for the TPI is different. High pressure and 255lph volume. (not sure )

Other than that, you should be good to go. Both engines used the old style MAF sensor setup,

Reply to
James Alio