92 Camaro overheating

Can anyone help here? I have a 92 camaro, 5.0 V8 that was believe it or not given to me. When I got the car I drove it for awhile and noticed the temp
guage going to the red. I figured it was thremostat probs so I replaced it and noticed when i removed the old thermo there was antifreeze sitting in the housing where the thermostat goes. after replacing the old one I drove it around and saw that it again went to the red after about 20 mins of driving. I don't want to start replacing parts just because so, i was hoping some one here can offer up some good reliable advice for me... also after driving it for a while it takes a few tries before it starts again... HELP please!!!!
Make sure that the fan is coming on when it gets warm. I know this sounds silly, but that is a major cause of overheating.
My 86 was overheating like crazy, I lost a radiator and a heater core to it before I realized that a bad relay was causing the fan not to kick on when it was supposed to.