'94 z-28 convertible top not working...

This spring my '94 Z-28 convertible top stopped going down. (no jokes please!) Up works fine. I am currently manipulating the roof manually. When I push the button to lower the top the pump in the trunk does not come on, it does to put the top up. I guess it is supposed to come on for down, but am not sure and have not been able to find any repair manuals that include convertible top information.

I was surprised to find that the pump has only two wires going to it - I figured there would at least be a ground and an up and a down control of some sort. Needless to say I have no idea how this works, can't find manuals (but have not checked the source - GM - for fear of big $$$s.)

I considered placing the up/down three position switch in the console, but then when I saw only two wires to the pump I figured I did not understand this thing very well and there must be some circuitry between the switch and pump. I have been unable to find a wiring diagram that includes the convertible circuitry.

HELP!. Suggestions, references, etc would all be appreciated. If I was not as cost sensitive as I am at the moment I would bring the car to my local dealership, but times are not good financially...

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sorrentino

Look for relays.

I'm working off info from my '90 Mustang ragtop, so bear with me. I know that it has two relays, one for "up" the other for "down" located near the pump/motor. Follow those wires from the pump....I'll bet you have a relay out.

Have someone operate the top as you listen. One should click, meaning it works fine. You may even try tapping the one that doesn't make a sound to see if it will kick one more time to confirm.

-Donald in Austin

Reply to
Unit335

Time for a follow-up question. Following Donald in Austin's advice I listened for relays and could hear none. Next I figured I would inspect and maybe replace the up/down toggle switch in the front part of the console. After 1.5 hours of trying not to break anything I gave up trying to get at the switch.

How do I get at the convertible switch? Is below the cigarette lighter to the left of the cassette holders.

I undid the four screws securing the console and lifted the face plate that surrounds the shift lever (this is an automatic). Problem is I can not get the face place past the knob on the shifter - how do I remove the knob or is there another way?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sorrentino

I have a 2000 so not sure 'bout the placement of the switch. Mine is on a plate that just pops out of the consul [caution / cheap plastic = broken parts + super glue].

But anyway, that would be my guess - "bad switch".

Good luck.....

Reply to
Z24PODS says... "Click Here