96 Camaro: questions

we have a 96 camaro rs that we bought used a couple years ago... overall great car but we have a few issues that need to get taken care of to get it road-worthy again now that were in a state that requires
inspection
*needing to know how to replace speedometer (it doesnt register until going around 50-55 and then it shows that were going around 20)
*also need to know how bright lights are supposed to function on this make - weve never worried about it till now with impending inspection... pulling back on the cruise control lever (as in other vehicles) does nothing not even a click and no other switches or anything to give us a clue, so whats the simple little trick?
L4C spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I don't know about the part below, but in re: the speedo part, if it's a mechanical one, that's usually caused by a gear in the tranny losing teeth. A good speedo show could knock it out in an hour...
NOI

"Thund3rstruck_N0i1" wrote: > L4C spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and > proclaimed in
> > > we have a 96 camaro rs that we bought used a couple years > ago... > > overall great car but we have a few issues that need to get > taken care > > of to get it road-worthy again now that were in a state > that requires > > inspection > > > > *needing to know how to replace speedometer (it doesnt > register until > > going around 50-55 and then it shows that were going around > 20) > > > I don't know about the part below, but in re: the speedo > part, if it's a > mechanical one, that's usually caused by a gear in the tranny > losing teeth. > A good speedo show could knock it out in an hour... > > NOI > > > > *also need to know how bright lights are supposed to > function on this > > make - weve never worried about it till now with impending > > inspection... pulling back on the cruise control lever (as > in other > > vehicles) does nothing not even a click and no other > switches or > > anything to give us a clue, so whats the simple little > trick? > >
hey, thanks for the info... what do you mean by "A good speedo show?" - were a bit novice at this but always trying to learn something new
" ...in re: the speedo part, if its a mechanical one, thats usually caused by a gear in the tranny losing teeth. A good speedo show could knock it out in an hour... "
L4C spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Typo. I meant to type Speedometer Shop.
NOI
"Thund3rstruck_N0i1" wrote: > L4C spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and > proclaimed in
> > hey, thanks for the info... what do you mean by "A good > speedo > > show?" - were a bit novice at this but always trying to > learn > > something new > > > > " ...in re: the speedo part, if its a mechanical one, > thats usually > > caused by a gear in the tranny losing teeth. A good speedo > show could > > knock it out in an hour... " > > > > Typo. I meant to type Speedometer Shop. > > NOI
ahh... makes more sense when u put it that way...
any advice for a do-it-yourself job on this fix or is that one of those questions where we just hear incessant laughing on the other end??
Typo. I meant to type Speedometer Shop.

Almost 99.99% positive the only mechanical part on that speedo is the gear that goes into the trans itself. It should be electrical from the trans up...
so again, is it something we could tackle ourselves or is this mechanic-only territory? thanks.
> Almost 99.99% positive the only mechanical part on that speedo is the > gear > that goes into the trans itself. It should be electrical from the > trans > up...
"L4C" wrote: > so again, is it something we could tackle ourselves or is this > mechanic-only territory? thanks. > > > [quote:c3def3ee54]Almost 99.99% positive the only mechanical > part on that speedo is the gear > that goes into the trans itself. It should be electrical from > the trans > up...[/quote:c3def3ee54]
still open for advice on this one: need to know how bright lights are supposed to function on this make - weve never worried about it till now with impending inspection... pulling back on the cruise control lever (as in other vehicles) does nothing not even a click and no other switches or anything to give us a clue, so whats the simple little trick?
My camaro is the same way. I took the column apart to find a plastic slide piece that connects the cruise control arm to a metal rod that travels down the column. That's as far as I got. It was ok and well greased. Supposedly, the rod connects to a round clicker that works the brights but not sure how far down you have to go. I put my money on that being bad.
"Camaro Cowboy" wrote: > My camaro is the same way. I took the column apart to find a plastic > slide piece that connects the cruise control arm to a metal rod that > travels down the column. Thats as far as I got. It was ok and > well > greased. Supposedly, the rod connects to a round clicker that works > the > brights but not sure how far down you have to go. I put my money on > that > being bad.
yeah, we kinda thought the same thing and finally just took it to the mechanic.. *sigh*
"L4C" wrote: > [quote:a7341161c1="Camaro Cowboy"]My camaro is the same way. I > took the column apart to find a plastic > slide piece that connects the cruise control arm to a metal > rod that > travels down the column. That's as far as I got. It was ok and > well > greased. Supposedly, the rod connects to a round clicker that > works the > brights but not sure how far down you have to go. I put my > money on that > being bad.[/quote:a7341161c1] > > yeah, we kinda thought the same thing and finally just took it > to the mechanic.. *sigh*
Just a follow-up here... we ended up letting the mechanic handle these issues as we never did get the answers we were looking for - it was a pretty ambitious project anyway.
Come to find out, when this car was rebuilt (got rolled by the kid who owned it before us) whoever put it back together left a lot of loose connections and wires.. we had to have the whole dash replaced after it was all said and done!!
The dimmer switch assembly connection (as well as the steering column itself) just needed to be tightened up and the speedometer was not attached at all. $1200+ later, now we just need to replace the T-top seals, the door window actuators and a couple issues with the hatch.