Are my tires still good?

Hey
I used to own an '82 camaro that I took apart 13 years ago or so and go figure never put it back together again. I still have the tires for it. I
bought them in '89 and kept them thinking I would use them again. Well, I didn't.
They are BF Goodrich TA's and I only used them in the summer and maybe put 12000 miles on them if I remember correctly. Just a guess. Anyway, they have been in my basement all this time and look to be in great shape.
Can they be used now and will they be safe?
Thanks in advance Jeff
bones1515 wrote:

Simple answer. No.
I have a 1970 Camaro that I have owned since 1972 & I replaced the tires in 1978 with Goodyear Polyglass G 70 -14. The front ones are long gone due to a alignment problem however the back ones are still on the car to this day. I only drive it about 1,000 miles a year so there must be about 26,000 miles on them. No dry rot or anything. I am afraid to do any burn outs with them for fear they might let do, but they still look like new. Big Duke

Sorry, but no. Even never-used tires that are a couple of years old, let alone 13 years old, have deteriorated to a point that they shouldn't be used.

so the spare tire I have on my 96 Chevy S10 is no longer usable, since I haven't had to use it yet? I don't buy your point that a never used tire is no good after a few years.
seems strange that I stored some Mickey Thompson Sportsman tires for 13 years, but have been using them all summer on a prostreet Camaro with no problems. must've been the rare set?? yeah.
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:28:11 GMT, "J. McGoggin"

Wrinklez wrote:

Well there you have it. You just must be so much smarter than everyone else in the industry. Congratulations. You are a genius.
Hi there Martin, everyone. Can you guys stop the sarcasm for just a bit here hehe... I am interested in this as well. It seems to me that most tires would have longer than a year shelf life. I admit I know nothing of the industry, but just have a fairly well rounded (no pun intended) grasp of general science. Somewhere in this thread it was written that tires even more than just 1 year old are too risky to use. That just seems very hard to believe. Yet, I can also imagine the shelf life is not infinite. What do tire shops do with any pricey specialty tires if they haven't moved them in 12 months? (I say pricey/specialty tires because I'm sure all other tires wouldn't last very long in stock). I would think mounted vs. unmounted (on a wheel) storage might make a difference as well. What about the fact that you can drive on a set of tires typically for a few years (say like 3)? Somehow the rubber holds up better when exposed to ultra violet light, the elements, changes in humidity and temperature, but doesn't last in doors unused in a good environment? No offense, but it just doesn't add up to me.
What about snow tires that you leave mounted on rims and just put limited use on seasonally? Do they have to be thrown out every year?
Are you qualified to answer these questions accurately? I admit I'm no tire man, so I am asking if you are or have the goods on it.
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:45:53 -0400, GLK9MM

SgtSilicon wrote:

Well,     My neighbor is a tire/service retailer and one of my oldest friends is a chemical engineer for Goodyear. I can only base my opinions on what I've read and the experts I speak to. I'll try and spend some time in the near future laying it out for you.
Well, a tire guy and a Goodyear chemical engineer sound like pretty good sources of info on the subject! Look foreward to seeing what they pass on to you.
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:30:41 -0400, GLK9MM