best carb for a 383 stroker

Threaded View
Just got my '68 Camaro back from my engine builder, I had a 383 stroker
built,
w/flat top pistons, dyno'd last week at 347 hp. Right now it has an
Edelbrock carb on it,
my mechanic didn't have much luck getting it set right when running under a
load, this carb was new in 2003
but it also ran flat (on acceleration and midrange rpms) on the 350 I had it
on, so I'm
not real happy with it.

I'm thinking about purchasing a different carb, what would be the smoothest
running carb
for a 383? I'm not interested in racing, just smooth idle and accelaration.
Years ago
I had a Rochester Quadrajet on a 327 (275hp) Camaro, it ran great, it just
took off on
acceleration. Is that the way to go, or is a Holley carb a better
investment?

Thanks everyone--

Terry

Re: best carb for a 383 stroker

Go with a Barry Grant if you want to go with a holley style carb.
Nice to look at sitting on top of the motor and will perform better
than a Holley.  As for sizing... When calling up the parts house tell
them what you have, c.i., rpm range, compression ratio, cam specs,
what the main use of the car will be, etc, and they will be better
able to come up with the appropriate size and type for your
application.

                        ...Ron
--
68' Camaro RS
88' Firebird Formula

Ron, tell me a little more about the Barry Grant. What about buying a new
carb vs. finding one on Ebay and rebuilding, like Dave says....years ago
I did rebuild a Holley carb, never could get the damn thing working right
though....

Terry

Re: best carb for a 383 stroker

I'm not a carb guy and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last
night either. :-)  There are others better suited to answer that
question on the group.

I put a Demon 750 VS on top of my 350 with a late 2nd gen Z28 intake
on top.  I set the 4 corner idle screws and that was pretty much it.
I don't see it being hard to rebuild one, it's mainly a matter of
getting everything clean and replacing gaskets.  BG sends a video with
new Demons.  I'm sure that once I complete my little project on my 68'
I'm going to want to get it as clean running as I can.  What I'm
planning on doing is either manufacturing or buying a led LED
combustion anylizer.  That will help me with getting the correct
jetting.

                                  ...Ron
--
68' Camaro RS
88' Firebird Formula

I'll have to look up the Demon series, I'm not a carb person either
(although
I'd like to learn). Price is a factor for me but really it's to the point
that I have so much
invested in this car, I want to get it running well no matter what! I now
have a special
file cabinet for car receipts that my wife CANNOT see, ever.

 To me, since I use the car as a daily driver, smooth running is more
important than high end
efficiency, so that's what I have in mind for a carb choice...my mechanic
tuned my car this week so that it idles fine, accelerates well enought to
drive it, and he
offered to fine tune this Edelbrock once the snow is gone (Wisconsin) and he
can drive the car and adjust it under load conditions...if that works I'll
stick w/ the
Edelbrock, otherwise I'll consider a Demon series carb. Another factor is
that the engine
has no miles on it, except for the Dyno last week, so I think it'll run
differently once it
has a few hundred miles on it--

Terry

Re: best carb for a 383 stroker

The first thing I'd do is to go and get a how to rebuild Edelbrock
Carbs or a test and tune Edelbrock book and learn how they work.  It's
easier to tune carbs with knowledge rather than guess work.

                             ...Ron

--
68' Camaro RS
88' Firebird Formula

he
I'll

Check Edelbrock's website, used to be able to download the carb manuals from
there. Tuning kits are pretty cheap, they come with jets, metering rods and
power circuit springs. If you decide to try to tune it (these are easy to
work on) take a good look at the small screws that hold the power springs in
place. They are fairly easy to break and only have to be loosened enough to
rotate the cover out of the way.

Two things I don't like about the AFBs is they are prone to flooding under
hard cornering (it can be fixed though) and the rear air valves are pretty
much non-adjustable. Holleys, Demons and even quadrajets are more tunable
but if you're not looking to wring the last tenth out of the car, you should
be able to get satisfying results out of the Edelbrock.

Dave

Re: best carb for a 383 stroker

I will definitely see if I can get the Edelbrock carb working right before
abandoning it--

thanks for the advice!

Terry

Re: best carb for a 383 stroker

it
smoothest
accelaration.

Afreind of mine has a 71 Camaro with a Dart head, roller cam 383 that runs
11.80s on a cool night. Even with a converter it's a very smooth daily
driver. We both run Holley 750 mechanical secondary double pumpers with
Proform center sections. I just picked up another Holley on Ebay for $150
bucks. A center section is $99 and I add clear sight plugs, 5/16 hex head
bowl screws and a jet extension/float for the rear bowl. Total cost with a
good score on Ebay runs around $300.  Check the Proform website for the
carbs that will work with the 750 center section.

Dave

Re: best carb for a 383 stroker

I do watch Ebay, I'm a little spooked about buying something used that has
lots
of moving parts....

Terry

Re: best carb for a 383 stroker

    When it comes to Core or rebuildible units. You can buy them all day on
Ebay. Holley and other companies make every part needed to rebuild and
repair a holley type carb. Yet you do need a core to start with.
Charles

Site Timeline