Brake Problems...

Ok, I've noticed for a while that I am getting excessive brake dust, squeeking and scrapping noises from my front brakes.
I believe that calipers are not going back out when I release the brakes,
and they are staying closed on the rotor. And that's where I'm getting the noises and excessive brake dust.
Any suggestions??
Do I need to rebuild my front Calipers?? Or is it the Sliders?
Any help would be great!!
Thanks.
2000 Camaro Z28
: Ok, I've noticed for a while that I am getting excessive brake dust, : squeeking and scrapping noises from my front brakes. : : I believe that calipers are not going back out when I release the brakes, : and they are staying closed on the rotor. And that's where I'm getting the : noises and excessive brake dust. : : Any suggestions?? : : Do I need to rebuild my front Calipers?? Or is it the Sliders? : : Any help would be great!! : : Thanks. : : 2000 Camaro Z28
I doubt you need a rebuild on a 2000 model. (Doubt, but not going to rule it out.)
Tell us a little more about the rotors and the pads. You can't possibly be using stock rotors and pads. My guess is you probably just have pads with a bit more organic material in them than you are used to. The squeal is normal if you haven't put anti-squeal gel (or anti-squeal pads) on the BACK of the brake pad. (If I ever see someone put that silicone based anti-squeal spray on their pads and rotor....I will be forced to kick you in the jimmy.)
Anyhoo, more information needed on the materials of your rotors and pads.
Do you FEEL a friction point on the rotors while driving? Does the vehicle pull to one side or the other when initially braking?
Well, changed the Rotors (GM OEM) and Pads (Durostop Reds) last summer at the same time.
I've tried the Anti Squeel Gel (On the back of the brake pad!!) and did not seem to stop the squeeling?? I was told it was just those brand of pads. The dust builds up and that is what is causing the squeeling.
But who knows, it could be the caliper!! I just want to know before I spend the cash on the rebuild kits if that's the problem. Or is it the lack of lube on the sliders??
And the only time I feel the friction point is only when I first start to go...like when I back up, put it first without touching the brakes, drive for a bit, then when I touch the brakes for the first time, the noise goes away!??
And yes, the car pulls to the left sometimes when braking hard.
Steve

Camarophreak wrote:

You ought to clean and lube the sliders, and install new slider orings, every time you change the pads. Do it now and see if it helps.

This could be a wheel alignment problem or loose suspension/steering parts....a slider problem would be more noticeable under light braking, I'm guessing.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
I had the same problem check your brake lines. (The flex lines.) Between the metal connector & the callipers Sometimes the line will collapse after a long time. to check them run a thin wire down them if there is a blockage that's your problem. Be careful taking them off as the can be a bit of a pain in the ass. It cost me $40.00 for the new lines works great now.
Cheers
86 IROC 4BBL On the stick.

: > Well, changed the Rotors (GM OEM) and Pads (Durostop Reds) last summer at : > the same time. : : Not sure of the quality of Durastop pads. AutoZone?? Try OEM pads.
Durastop pads are just re-branded AcDelco name brand. They're not bad, but I would go for a KVM or something along those lines.
I have 99 camaro V6 and have same damn problem with no damn solutions
For an easy way out, put the same brand pads back in that didn't squeak before. Some cars seem to like more organic or more mettalic to stay quiet. Try using the opposite of what you have now. It works for me. I've never turned rotors to stop squeaks. Just try different pads, or even new ones of same type help on my Ford. Pads are pretty cheap these days.