buffing out paint-- any suggestions??

Page 1 of 2
When I bought my Camaro (1968), about 1 year ago, it had just been repainted, not a show car quality job but a nice original looking matador red with the black bumblebee stripe.
The paint looks good, but I don't think it has ever really been buffed out and polished well. I've waxed it a few times, but I have a feeling this paint job could look better. There are also some light scratches in it, the type you get when your kids stand by the car & lean on it...
Anyone have suggestions as to how to buff it out? I do have an electric polisher but I'd rather use a little elbow grease and a pile of clean rags---
Terry
By the way, where abouts in Wi are you.. I travel from SW to NE from school to home.. and good ol Dennis is right in the middle of both.. lol.... but about those scratches... the kind that you get when YOUR kids lean up against it? Or someone elses.. lol.
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno

school

long
brown
If she's still driving it when she turns 18 Ill drool. Charles

THAT's just what I'm afraid of! Some people I know think I'm crazy letting my daughter drive a car that has 425hp, but so far so good, they scared her pretty good in driver's ed, which is still in her head. I'm worried that if she gets a boyfriend, she'll let him drive it....
Terry
Yeah I would be worried about that too.. I mean if I would have had that car with that kind of hp.. I would have killed myself, in fact I did my share of damage with my little 135hp... Glad I only had the 6 to learn on. Damn.. did I just say that? Lol
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
That's funny. Hell, I once owned a purple Gremlin! I hope I don't get kicked off this newsgroup for writing that!
Do you want to hear a good one? When my brother was 16 I sold him my '68 GTO 400 4 barrel 4 speed, well he ended up doing doughnuts in our neighbors lawn one night, then came home and fell asleep behind the wheel...had been drinking...the next day he denied everything until my dad pointed out that the wheel wells were completely filled up with mud! (this was our idea of fun in Wisconsin!) He had to sell it before it killed him...
Terry

car
of
I had a beige gremlin:
It was my everyday car, with a 258/6, and it smoked the tires for blocks. my other car was a 67 Firebird, that when I bought it. Had the overhead cam 6, with the timing belt.
Time to put in the BBC, it was my 10 second toy, and it was sure fun making money on Fridays and Saturdays on the Hutchinson Parkway, Pelham Parkway in the Bronx, and the Connecting Highways in Queens New York!
Refinish King

share
Damn..
soon...
Hey RK, I was told that you are the guy to talk to about what method of stripping the paintjob on a car to use. I saw a show on TLC called "Rides" where this company in Texas was building "Eleanors" for people out of base mustangs they found in junkyeards etc. Anyway, they used this Bakingsoda blasting method. It was like powerwashing a house, but with baking soda. They said it was fast, easy, biodegradable, and didn't harm the subber, windows, or metal. Heard of this? If not, what method would you recommend for a VERY inexperienced perons with stripping paint?
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
I've never heard of this method:
But baking soda is a mild abrasive. but, using water on blasted metal, which it would be in effect when finished. Is like playing Russian Roulette!
I'd use a flake off type stripper, one that goes on wet, then you wait till it dries, and everything comes off in flakes. It's also environmentally friendly, because you only have solid waste to deal with when dried.
Rust usually hides in the window checks, so stripping a car without removing the windows, is a half assed job, at best. If you aren't going to remove the windows, don't bother stripping it!
Also, consider taking off the window whiskers on the door and quarter windows, they are a good place for rust to hide.
I hope this helps?
Refinish King

"Rides"
recommend
My plan is next summer completely tear down the car, strip the paint, and rebuild it from the ground up... Well.. START to do all that.. lol.. Its in need of a lot of help, and this car has just about every problem you can think of.. has proven to be a good learning experience.. lol. Thats why I am looking for good techniques and products that are cost efficeint(Still in college) but not real hard or real time consuming to do. But I want to do this project right so I end up with a beautiful car instead of a 2600# paperweight. ANY help is greatly appreciated.
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
Just make sure that:
You use a good auto body supplier, get a 5 gallon can of acetone. Wipe down each panel you strip with acetone. Then use PPG LF32 or any of the other colors, before priming or using any plastic filler, but use the DP402 catalyst in it.
The DP402 will have a 15 minute permeation time after you mix it, before you spray it, the LF402 won't. But, you can't use the LF series epoxies catalyzed with the LF series catalyst under plastic filler.
Plastic filler is like a sponge and absorbs moisture, primers, whether epoxy or urethanes are too granular and allow moisture penetration. If you want a show quality job, that will last till your grandchildren can drive the car, use the PPG LF250 primer also. It just about fills in 40 grit scratches, with no shrinkage. It's a too component primer, use a dual cartridge respirator!
I can't warn people enough what Isocyanates did to me!
Refinish King

in
in
Hmmm.. wow.. did anyone else understand any of that?? LOL... Not to act stupid.. but could you Mickey Mouse that? Lamens terms MIGHT work.. but I wouldn't count on it.. lol
--
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
oh god, maybe there should be a new newsgroup, alt.gremlins or something! ...I went off the road & smashed up my Gremlin, then coincidentally I saw a Hornet for sale, it was bad too so I put them together into a hybrid looking body, and I called it the "Gremnet", I'm not kidding! We bolted on gremlin and hornet chrome pieces on it, painted it primer, and looked for an AMC 401 to put in it...ended up coming to my senses soon after & getting rid of it...shit, I hate to admit these stories on this NG...

that
though)
My brother had a 68 Javelin:
With a Dana 44 and a 290 and a Borg Warner T-10, A cam, a competition valve job, forged 11.0 to 1 pistons, and it ran 12.3. The car was an animal for it's size and the small motor.
Wally booth won Pro Stock for three years in a row in the early 70's with an AMC, if it weren't for the NHRA changing the rules about cutting apart cylinder heads. Then a few years later saying it was OK to do the head modifications again. Wally already had enough and went to Chevy, but got tired of Bill Jenkins kicking his ass and retired!
Refinish King

Make that cardinal rule number one:
He drives, she looses the car!
because if he screws up, guess who's mailbox the winner of the law suit goes on?
That's right, yours, not his parents. Yours!
So instill in her, if you heard she let anyone drive the car, she looses the car!
Tough love is the best love sometimes, he could kill her and cost you your life's savings!
Refinish King

has
which
drive
good advice. Tough love is the way sometimes, depends on the kids. Some of my daughter's friends definitely should not have the responsibility of a muscle car. I don't THINK my daughter will let anyone else drive my camaro, she'd be too ashamed to face me if something happened...oh I can feel my hair going more grey every day......! It's tough, I want both my kids to have the love of old cars in their veins, but not kill themselves in the process!

I know you weren't asking the question of me but I noticed you said SW WI. Are you starting from the SW area of WI and going NE or just through SW WI? Reason I ask is that I live in La Crosse.
Man, there are quite a few WI people hanging out here...do any of you know of crusing events in Wisconsin? I've been going to some in Minneapolis/St Paul, but I'd like to check out some around here--
Terry

school
I start out in Platteville(SWWI) Then go "home" in Algoma(NEWI) My '88 Is being sotred and will be worked on in Waupaca though. And Terry, I am actually surprised, when I used to be a regular, It was just me and Dennis from Wi... glad to see there finally a few more.. lol. As to the cruises, for Cambirds I don't know of any around here.. wish there were though.