Car value question

Hey, Ive got a 79 Z28 all original. I want to turn the motor into a 383 stroker. What would this do to the value of the car? It is surely an upgrade but it also takes away from factory specs. I figure if Im going to do any engine upgrades I might as well go all out.

Reply to
CrabLuv

I'm not sure what that swap would do to the value of your car, but I just put at 383 in my '68 Camaro, I can tell you that there are a lot of hidden expenses and modifaction you might have to make. These engines run hotter than a stock v8, so you'll need a big radiator with a good trans. cooler if you have an automatic. My mechanic also suggested an external oil cleaner, to keep the engine running at a normal temp. They also produce a lot of torque, obviously, so you have to reconsider your transmission, driveshaft, rear end, tires, all drivetrain components. My 383 is a smooth running engine that really moves when you give it some gas, but like I said you'll have to think about other modifications.

I suppose the value of the car depends on the type of person buying-- a lot of people might drool over a 383 in a z-28, but like you say, it's no longer stock.

Let us know what you end up doing--

good luck,

Terry M.

Reply to
Terry

If you want to be safe on all ends, put the original motor and trans in a safe place along with all of the original smog crap and then do what you want with the car. As long as you don't wreck it or seriously torque the frame/chassis, you or the next owner can bring it right back to factory specs with the original parts.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

I agree with Ron... Ragged out hotrodded Z's are a dime-a-dozen. If your car is original, I'd maybe save the motor/trans & pick up a spare out of a junkyard & build it to your liking. If you look in the papers/auctions, you could pick up an entire vehicle with drivetrain for as little as a couple hundred bucks I've done it many times... if you blow up your hot-rod motor, replace it with another.

Personally, I'd not mess with a numbers matching Z, but each to his own. I realize '79 Z28s were the highest production Z28, but tell me how many original survivors are out there!

Enjoy your car - Joel

Reply to
Junqueboi