Changing a clutch

How hard is it to change a clutch and throwout bearing on a SBC? The shop wants 750 bucks. Parts would be what? 150?

lab~rat

It's reletively easy to change a clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and flywheel. If you're going to do it, do the whole job including refacing the flywheel. It's a pretty strait foward job, I don't have a garage at present so I get to do mine on the ground using large jackstands and ramps. The higher you can get the car in the air, the easier it is to do the job.

As long as I have all the parts and the old throwout bearing comes out reletively quickly then I can do the whole job in about 4 hours with honeydoo time included.

...Ron

--

68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird

Some are wise and some are otherwise

Reply to
RSCamaro

I just get one from the parts house when I get the other stuff on the list. Just bring back the core with the other core parts and you're in business.

Get out your Chiltons manual and follow the step by step instructions and in no time you'll have your new clutch installed. I think the hardest part may be adjusting the clutch to fit your foot. Use a torque wrench and the correct ratings for the bolts when putting it all back together.

It's much easier than changing out an automatic. Others may dissagree but I'd rather have a T-10 sitting on my chest than a TH-350 when trying to slide either up into alignment. I know that I should use a jack for the auto but I can always get it done easier if I'm the jack doing the aligning.

...Ron

--

68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird

Some are wise and some are otherwise

Reply to
RSCamaro

If you get the clutch kit, pressure plate and such, you are locking at around $300.

--

98 Camaro

Reply to
98 Camaro