Completely disabling the anti-theft system in a 98 camaro?

Anyone know of a button, or wire I can fully disable it with, just turn it off, it it's giving you problems? Or do I have to get it serviced?

Not sure on a 98, but on my 96 the alarm unit is in a black box in the spare tire well. I would think just removing the connector from the control box would do the trick.
Gary

Gary - KQ6RT wrote:

I think that you would need to do surgery on the computer or you would need to bypass the VATS system. I am of course assuming your talking about the standard "chip in the key" thing, which is actually just a resistor. You can either measure the resistance and look up the wiring diagram so you can find the wires from the ignition to the VATS module, or hack things to bypass it. AFAIK there is no button or switch to just turn it off. Frankly, I believe it to be worth the slight inconvienience for the slight increase in difficulty involved if someone tries to steal the car.
--
Cy Welch
89 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI

Yes I meant the VSAT, yeah i've read up on it when I figured what out what I was actually trying to disable the KeyPass-II system and I think the sensor in the ignition is messed up because my key is fine I was told, I have a question could a key change resistance levels by wear?
Overman wrote:

Not likely. What has probably happened is the contacts have worn. Sometimes a new key will help for a while (wear happens on both the ignition and the key) but you may need to either replace the ignition cylinder or find the wires from the cylinder and put the same resistance across them as is in the key (after of course cutting them to disconnect from the ignition cylinder.
--
Cy Welch
89 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI