differences between ss and lt1

im new to the camaro scene so if anyone could help me out even though i might seem stupid... im looking at 4th gen. camaros and wanted to konw the differences between an lt1 and a ss. is the lt1 engine faster or would it
be smarter to go with the ss? thank you
Wrong comparisons. "SS" is a trim level and LT1 is an option code describing a specific motor type. The Z28 and SS trim levels were optioned with a V8 engine (as opposed to V6). Before 1999 that V8 was an LT1 (a 5.7 liter displacement). From 1999 - 2002 it the V8 was an LS1 (also a 5.7 liter displacement, but almost completely redesigned and more powerful than an LT1). I might be slightly mistaken about which year they switched from LT1 to LS1 but the rest is pertinent.
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:53:00 -0400, "garrison"

SgtSilicon wrote:

I believe 1998 the LS1 was avail in the F-body. (1997 in the vette) The LS1 has more upper end hp, but the LT1 (and LT4) both have more low end torque if my memory serves me correctly.
You're exactly right about the LS-1 appearing in '98 F-bodies and '97 Vette's. You're also right about the LT-1 producing more low-end torque (peaks about 2500 RPM) while the LS-1 delivers more HP on the top-end.
With street tires at the track I've found the low-end torque to be a disadvantage because it's difficult to get the radials to "hook-up". All that low-end torque hitting the rear wheels before the weight shifts back onto them yeilds a lot of spinning off the line and a bark as the car shifts to second. I've still turned-in a 13.9 quarter mile with cheap street radials.
I've ordered a set of Nitto 555's that I hope will shave-off a few tenths and actually let me take advantage of the LT-1 low-end torque off the line. Hopefully I'll find-out next week!