Dumbass problem - clicking door locks

The past few weeks I'm driving down the road listening to an incessant clicking noise. I've had a lot on my mind, and clicking was on the bottom of the list, but then I realized it was my door locks stammering for some reason. I imagine a switch is dirty or broken, so I'll look into that, but has anyone else had that problem? (2000 Camaro)

While the car is running, it won't let me lock to doors, not that I'm ascared or nuthin'...

lab~rat >:-)

I would look for cracked wire insulation, a lose ground, or a bad wire. Particularly in the boot between the body and the door. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:57:56 GMT, Charles Bendig puked:

It's intermittent, so that's entirely possible.

lab~rat >:-)

A low cost fix is to replace the drive side power door lock switch. My luck started to act up, not releasing, repsonding to the remote. But, it was not constent. The new switch cost $ 10.00 at my local (Central PA) Chevy Dealer and replaced it myself.

My problem is the rocker part of the pastic switch cover was sheered off at the base by 95%. Just from age and use (95K miles and I'm owner # 3. of a very nice red 1995 TA). Fixed the problem right there.

If you go this route, also replace the window switch also, That one was $ 15.00 and comes as a pair (driver and passeneger.) To do it yourself. The switch plate is held in place by two clips located at the middle of the plate. Glently rock the plate upwards. The wires all slip on except the power mirrrow, look for a little catch to release it. The switches have a flat lip that slips into a grove. You'll need a fine flat blade or a prob to gental push the sides outward. Release one side, then the other. The switch will fall out. The new one pops in, just make sure its going in right.

Post back when you get this worked out.

Reply to
brxsep

On 28 Jan 2006 15:23:06 -0800, "brxsep" puked:

I pulled the assembly apart the other night and it appears that the switch has a broken tab on it. I disconnected it and the noise stopped. In fact, I plugged it back in and left the switch panel hanging out of the door panel and the switching stopped.

When I reassembled it, the pressure from the wire harness caused it to start acting up again. I'll swing into the dealer and get a new switch when I'm in the area...

lab~rat >:-)