Engine belt on a 99 Z28

I am coming close to my 50K miles inspection for my 1999 Z28 and I wanted to check with the group what is your opinion on having the engine belt replaced..
I heard some suggestions that the original belt can last 80K and more, while a mechanic suggested that 50K can already be a good point for a swap..
Any experience out there?
thx!!
Cacio ~~ www.geocities.com/cacio ~~ Z28 galore