engine size

I have a 82 camaro that originally came with a 6. Someone put an 8 in its place . I would like to get parts for this engine but don't really know what
it is . So what do I need to help with this and where do I look.
Thanks Paul
Paul Lavoie wrote:

You might be able to find what the engine was originally installed in, using the numbers stamped on the front, passenger side on the top of the block, just in front of the head, just above the water pump. There should be two sets of numbers, such as F0123CDE and 1CK123456. The first would be the engine number, and the second would be the partial VIN. I have some books that I can look up codes and such in, if you post these numbers.
But if it's an older engine, the odds are good that the "stuff" on top of it is not original to it, so this still won't help much with finding what parts to get. It really takes some experience to figure out what is what...sorry!
--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
thanks Jim any help is good here is the #191001836 K09 18FB
Thanks again Paul
Paul Lavoie wrote:

About all I can make from those numbers, is a 327 from a 1969 Chevy full size car. Make sure the "FB" is correct...they used 2 letter codes thru 69, and 3 letter codes starting in 70, most codes from the 70s start with C or T, but in the 80s they went crazy with the letter codes.
--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
**191001836 K09 18FB** I don't have my books in front of my right now, but it looks like an early Chevrolet 1969 210 HP 327 w/ Powerglide, most likely from a fullsized Chevy, assembled at the McKinnon Plant, September 18, 1968. I have an identical motor, with the same assembly code (different date and plant), but it was originally out of 1969 El Camino. there also may have been Camaros and Novas that used these codes (FB for example) also... even tho some of the books state otherwse. Jeff
i have a prog at work, machine shop. if you get the casting number of of the bell housing end of the engine, usually 7 or 8 digits i should be able to tell you the year and model. usually on the left side rear, stamped in the casting
JJRNJ wrote:

scott wrote:

3970010
was used for 10 years.....in everything Chevy made.
Kind of tough to name a year/model on that one!
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
has them too.
Jim