Exhuast

'84 Z-28 350 .30 over edelbrock 600 carb

I'm looking to get headers and wondering what would be a better choice as to sound and performance. Should I go with a 2 1/2" collection or a 3" collection? Either choice I take, I would like to run the same diameter pipes all the way to the back of the car. Unless someone knows of a good combination between headers, mufflers and pipes. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
g.sams

Sounds like you are planning duals? Good luck.......

Go with a set of shortie headers with a matching Y-pipe and a 2.5" cat-back... I would worry about the primary tubes more than the collectors.....

Flowtech makes a decent set of shorties that cost about $89 and the Y-pipe for about another $100.... only thing is the primaries of these headers are

1.5" to a 2.25" or 2.5" collector. These headers give you more of a higher pitch tone, almost a high lightning crack at high RPMs.... These headers are a great addition for a stock 305.....

Edelbrock makes really nice shorties with 1 inch and 5/8s (or they might be

1-3/4) primaries to a 2.5" collector and matching dual Y-pipe that cost a bit more and sound much deeper in tone and out perform the Flowtechs.... These are great for a stock or modified 350....

I've used both these set ups which is why I've used these examples..... Headman also makes a nice header-Y-pipe combo that is affordable.

My opinion is stay away from long tube headers and true duals on a 3rd generation Z-28... unless it were 1985 and you were living in West Virginia, had air shocks and big fat Cragers or aluminum slots on the back.......

~John King

1987 IROC 5.7 L98

Reply to
John King

Thank you, you gave me the info I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Reply to
g.sams