First Generation Leaf Springs

I took my rearend out of my 69 Camaro Z/28 and the bottom leaf fell off. I was wondering if anyone knows how I"m suppose to put that bottom leaf back on before I reinstall the Rearend? I think there is some type of bolt holding it together. I curious if its a particular bolt? Does it have to go on the Leaf, while the Entire Leaf is off the car? What is involved in this?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

you should have a bolt running through all of the leaves with a nut at the bottom.. assuming the bolt is still good all you'll need is a nut and a c-clamp.

Reply to
Brian

The bolt fell apart (rusted apart) when I removed the rearend. That's why I'm asking... is it just a regular type of bolt or is it a special type? Does the entire leaf spring need to be off, or can I put the bolt in without taking it off?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

i know your camaro is a little different (1st gen and a single spring) than the one i am working on (80 Z28, multi-leaf) but i just started doing a rear-end change (single tire frier 3.08:1 to a 4.11:1 posi) and every single leaf spring *including* the main springs were broken clean through - only thing holding them together was the u-bolts!

i called around and just picked up a brand new set of leafs (5 per side) with custom made u-bolts, new bushings and bolts for a total of 350$ all taxes etc. included.

when i talked to the guy (owner of a spring/suspension comapny) he said even if the springs were still fine (not cracked/broken) he wouldn't suggest doing the re-arc thing as it is temporary and since they are out, the replacement work is basically done - and re-arcing is close to the cost of replacing from what i understood.

Summit Racing has a single leaf replacement in their catalogue for about 130 USD per side... heck, i paid 127 CAD per side for multi-leaf setup - couldn't go wrong.

i would just suggest replacing if you can - it take no more work than you already have to do and will produce a much better result.

Sean

Reply to
~~NortH~~

remove your old bolt and bring it to a local auto parts store .. tell them u want a center bolt .. if you dont have the old one mesuree the thickness of the springs .. and hole dia. you can do this with out removing the main leaf from the car.

Reply to
Peter n ellen

Thank You Peter!

Reply to