fuel gauge

hi guys, i've got a 2000 3.8 liter coupe and the fuel gauge has been acting up and mis-reading for the past week or so. any quick and easy suggestions or are we looking at a full gas tank removal here? thanks in advance, jay

Reply to
mysteryroach

How bad is it "mis-reading", is it too low most of the times, or is the gauge not working? The gas gauges in F bodies have all been notorious for giving "bad" readings; in my camaro it can go from a full tank to a half a tank just by accelerating fast. Another thing about these cars is that the gas tank is in a sort of V shape, which means that when it says it's at a half tank, it's really about 1/3 full. Lucky for you, yours has the warning light, so if it actually is low, you know before it's too late.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

seems to read ok between full and 3/4's. after that, it fluctuates up and down between 3/8's and 3/4's. it never goes below 3/8's, even when almost empty. i've been watching my millage, and filling up at about

300 miles, knowing that i've got another 1 or 2 or 3 gallons left. for a supposedly 16 gal. tank, i've never put in more than 14 gallons, but i've never ran it out of gas in 115,000 miles, either. i have never noticed the gauge flucuating due to acceleration or cornering before. other than the catalytic converter ( i'm on my 5th) and the driver's side power window, it's been a damn good car for me. i'm trying to coax it to 2009, when i can buy another new one. thanks, jay
Reply to
mysteryroach