Getting the Gunk Off

Can anyone reccommend a commercially available de-greaser (or home brew) for getting 43 year old crud off plastic coated wires in the engine compartment without runing the coating?

I don't mind doing it the hard way with a few squirts of plain old spray cleaner of some kind, but if there's something better out there, I'd love to know.

Regards,

ZW / '63 Riviera

Reply to
Zomby Woof