Help needed with 81 Z28 interior lights please

Hey folks! I'm restoring this 81 Z28 and need some info please. Here's the question. Are the courtesy lights below the dash supposed to come on when either door is open? Also, are there any other lights
besides the dome light that should illuminate? Do the lights do any kind of fade on or off? The wiring under this dash has been butchered and I'm trying to piece it back together. I've gotten everything working but these darn courtesy lights. I know it's not all that important, but, I'd like to get it 'right'. Thanks, Marty