HELP:troubleshooting power door locks

What have you done so far? Check fuses? Check voltage with multimeter? First try and establish whether or not you have power to the switch.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Howell
1981 z28 power door locks do not work.Can anyone suggest where to start, how to troubleshoot? The restoration books I have do not cover this topic. IS there a 'usual' culprit with these cars? Any help appreciated! Thanks, Marty
Reply to
Marty

The particular fuse for door locks is #11 I have been unsuccessful in locating a schematic of the door lock system. I would assume that a low voltage should be present on one of the wires to the lock. Did you disconnect all wiring from the lock before checking them? If the switch were to be shorted, you would not read a voltage, if it were there because it would go straight to ground. Make sure you disconnect each lead as you check it for voltage. I'll dig around some more, if I find a schematic, I'll let you know. I have the instruction for replacing the switch if you want them.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Howell

The switch simply unplugs from the 5 pin connector. I checked all 5 pins for power and did not find any. I will re-check the fuse in case I missed it. Thanks for telling me which fuse it is. Very helpful!!!! Marty

Reply to
Marty