Hot Flooding

Hey Guys, Got a '75 that runs sweet EXCEPT that after I've been driving for a while (an hour or more) and I stop and turn it off, it has a hard time firing back
up. It cranks like it wants to catch, but usually requires a few minutes of frustrating cranking before it actually catches. I've rebuilt the carb, changed the fuel line and literally rebuilt all the mechnasims from the pedal to the carb. I've even dropped the gas tanks and cleaned it out. Any suggestions on where I go from here? Steve
Sounds like a hot soak start up problem to me. Hot soak is when you shut the engine off and all the gas boils out of the float bowl. You then have to crank the engine long enough to refill the float bowl. Usually a heat dissipater mounted between the carb and intake will remedy the situation. - Gary

back
of
Gary - KQ6RT wrote:

and when the gas boils out of the float bowls, sometimes it ends up in the intake manifold...so the engine is flooded.
And keep in mind also that 90% of "carburator problems" are caused by the ignition system :)

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
I had this problem with my TA years ago......the float in the carb is stuck open....
Run the car a few minutes.....shut it off....remove air cleaner and look down the carb throat to see if it has gas trickling into it.
Let me know what turns up.........Stan
Also make sure the distributor has at least 9 volts going to it during cranking (HEI system)

back
of
I'M HOT FLOODED, CHECK IT AND SEE!! I GOT A FEVER OF A HUNDRED AND THREE, .......I'M HOT FLOODED, HOT FLOOD-ED!!!
Oh yeah, 1978, that was a good year for young poon.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:54:58 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (F Fletch) puked:

When did young poon go out of style? -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?