HOW DO I MATCH A TRANSMISSION TO A MOTOR?

Someone stole the transmission out of my 2000 Camaro. I know who got it and where it is, I was wondering how I could prove that the transmission that he put in his car came out of mine, and off of my motor? Does the motor
and Transmission have numbers that match or any way of tracking them? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!