How to remove the shift lever?

Its finally time to pull the interior and weld in a new floor. My 84 Berlinetta doesn't like the english weather too much ;-)
But - I'll be damned if I can figure out how to remove the shift lever. It
feels like there's a pin through it somewhere but I can't see it.
Help.. please.. this is driving me nuts. Even the welding ain't this bad!
Cheers,
Roy.
If its anything like my '85... the "button" pulls out and there is a metal clasp holding the ball on.. there is a special pliers to take those offf.. or iff you dont have them.. a small screwdriver can pry it off after some time. then the rest should be easy.. hope thats what you were asking/helps.
-Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (148k and going... getting worried) 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/T-tops (For sale for $2,200) Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops for parts from one
Cheers - I'll give that a try :-)
Roy.

asking/helps.
It is is an automatic, put the car in first gear.Look at the front of it (closest to radio). You will see something that looks like a staple. Get a tiny screwdriver and pry it out carefully. It is actually a horeshoe clip.
Good luck.
Jim