I'm working on a replaced 88 camero Engine

this is a v6 2.7L feul injected engine tried to start it up for the first time and it would turn over but with a rapid clicking noise I thinks is the distributor but not sure and I can seem to get it out wondering if I
grinded the distributor gears ands its stuck in there
Please help me I'm lost what should I do