installation of heater core

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the heater core in my '68 Camaro. I did this job once back in the 1980s, but I can't remember, is it just a matter of removing the hoses, then removing the housing bolts all the way around, to get to the core? Any trick involved? I'm not looking forward to doing this but since I live in Wisconsin I really need some form of heat!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Yeah, it basically involves removing the bolts around the fan housing in the engine compartment but also requires removing the inner or complete passenger side fender, defrost and AC ducts, heater control cables, and a few other things. The heater box is removed out from under the dash inside the car.

Where in Wisconsin are you? I can come help if you're around Madison. I've done 3-4 heater core jobs so far.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I had a feeling there'd be some extensive dissassembly/reassembly involved in that heater core installation. I'd really like to take you up on your offer, but I live in NW WI near the twin cities....I am from Madison, and come down from time to time, but I never make the trip in the Camaro! I'd like to find some people around here who like working on old cars...I joined the Northstar Camaro Club in the twin cites, but it's not exactly close to where I live-

Thanks for the input,

Terry

Reply to
Terry

I replaced the heater core in my '68 a couple years ago, and it was fairly straight forward.

Remove the hoses and bolts from inside the engine compartment, then inside the car you have to remove the duct/cover under the dash on the passenger side to get access to the heater core (I don't remember removing the duct/cover entirely, just moving it out of the way sufficiently). It's pretty tight but the heater core comes out fairly easily.

The difficulty I had was getting it all back together. It took a while to get it all lined up properly and in the right position, but after several attempts, I finally got it.

I also remeber coolant spilling out on the floor of the car when I removed the core, so be wary of that.

All in all, it wasn't too bad of a job. Hey, if I can do it, so can you!

Mike

(spam control - remove the two Xs from my email address.)

Reply to
Xstatman51X

Thanks I'm considering doing it once the weather is warmer here-- Terry

Reply to
Terry