malicious mice

Just wondering how folks are keeping mice out of their collector cars... up here in Canada I can not drive my car year round so mice tend to come visit the garage where I have the car stored and they love the head liner and making nests in the passenger seat and etc.

I do have traps set up at all the entrances so I know where they are coming in so I patch the wall and etc but you know they will find another way in....

I heard of someone who put down the ultra sticky rodent tape... rat strength but using it for mice.

any other ideas? Too cold up here in the winter for a cat. Guess I could put a cat house in there and heat just the cat house but I know then I will have a cat in the car as well as the mice... likely huddled together for warmth!!!!!!

thanks

Reply to
gordon

I use mouse traps inside the car - the best bait I have found is the square cheese you get inividualy wrapped in plastic - like the stuff in a cheese burgers. All mice are different though, chockolate spead is said to be good too.

"" Cross post from RAMVA below some more tips

Disconnect the battery - put moth balls or an electronic insect and mouse repeller around the interior - stuff steel wool into tail pipes and duct tape across top of carb.

Vermin protection. ""

Reply to
tricky

go to

go to the Tech section, and search for 'rodents' or 'mice.' That site has a huge archive of advice, ideas, opinions, and there have been several good discussions about rodents living in stored classic cars. It's amazing the ideas people have come up with to get rid of them....

Terry

Reply to
Terry

As a person who has a excessive amount of cars and trucks, Ill give you my advice.

Cats work the best with large number of cars stored outdoor. Yet any car left open they will get in. Cat furr, and at times Cat Urinie will be found in said cars. Male Cats like to spray.

The only cats you can really keep inside a storage building or shop are semi-domesticated house cats. Which may or may not be mousers. Some are some are not.

The best way to keep mice out is to find every enterance they use, and use mouse poisions where other animals can not get to it. Then make sure any food left in your building is keept in a refridgerator, including any condiment packages.

Next is to get a small rodent live trap and to bait it. The size live trap used for chipmonks works well. For larger pests such as raccoons live traps work very well. Make sure you check your trap every other day and refreash the bait as needed.

Mice will not only nest in your cars, they will chew wiring, nest in your buildings walls, and go after paperwork. I have had titles destoried by mice.

I do keep 3 cats around my shop. 1 totally wild, and 2 semi domesticated. None of them did I bring there, they showed up on their own. Yet I do feed them. The two semi domesticated cats I will pet. They do keep the rodent population down. Between trapping and nature's preditors, I have reduced my rodent problems.

I did have a fully domesticated cat that lived in the shop for over a year. She would go out side at times. A customer who was not carefull and was in a hurry ran her over in the driveway. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

thanks!

Reply to
gordon

I put on the car cover, toss a fluffy blanket on top and then drape a tarp over it so the tarp lays on the floor a little. I fold back the excess, put bricks on top, and then put 1 inch black-pipe between the crease of the tarp and the brick. (My cousin uses 3/4 inch PVC filled with sand.) It basically makes a nice heavy square around the car. This year, I cut a hole in the tarp, built a small wooden frame, stapled the edges of the opening to the wooden frame, and placed a dual fan in it (one side blows in and one side blows out). Then, since a tricky mouse might get past a circular fan blade in a square housing, I just put a piece of thick steel mesh across the front of the fan (it's has slightly bigger holes than a window screen, but it's still too small for a mouse. Last year it was a little musty when I pulled off the tarp, so I figured I'd let it breathe a little more this year.

Reply to
Firehawk674

hmmmm good idea... thanks

Reply to
gordon

Bout the only thing mice will not eat thru, is wire wool. Use it to seal your exhaust pipe(s) .

Reply to
dave