My car smokes from the exhaust

My car smokes from the exhaust...smells like oil...When i bought the car i noticed it used oil a little faster than normal.I've been told that it needs a
new head gasket set or whatever but i'm hoping it's something simpler..If u have any idea what it might be then write me back.
It sounds like the piston rings are leaking oil into the combustion chamber. How does it idle? I believe if your head gasket was blown it could leak coolant and could also affect the quality of the idle but I don't think it would cause your engine to burn oil. Can anyone out there confirm this?
If your rings are leaking, that's actually a more involved repair than replacing a head gasket.

a new head gasket set or whatever but i'm hoping it's something simpler..If u have any idea what it might be then write me back.

The best way to find out what's going on is to do a dry and wet compression check. The compression should be fairly even through all of the cylinders and depending on your type of engine you have your PSI readings should be around 130 - 150 but of course this depends on your head size and engine. If your noticing a puff of smoke @ start-up it could be worn out valve seals. High oil consumption could be as easy to fix as replacing a clogged filter and checking your EGR to see if its plugged. These are the easiest diagnostics befor you start ripping your engine apart. Repair manuals are available at the library or you can buy them almost anywhere. I hope this helps you on your way. Cheers, Steve

Does it only smoke at start up, and then clear up? If so it is your valve seals. If it smokes all the time it could be the rings, which the before mentioned compression check could determine. But if that even checks out I'd look into an intakleak that could be pulling oil out of the lifter valley from underneath.