NEED HELP: Radiator Question

I have a 96 V6 Camaro and I think I might be having a radiator leak. Am not too sure though cause I don't really see any coolant on the floor but all of a sudden the other day, I noticed my Temp Gauge climbing and so I checked the radiator and it was needing quite a lot of coolant. Anyway I have topped up with the appropriate coolant but was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how costly it would be if I have to fix a new radiator? Is this a job I might be able to do myself or is it one better left to the mechs? I am monitoring my radiator situation everyday to see if the coolant level decreases. So far it seems quite normal but I don't really know for sure. Any help on this subject will be appreciated. Suggestions and options too Thank you in advance. Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hi Winston

Yes, I had the exact same thing happen to my '93 3.4L. Losing water, no puddles underneath, wheres it going?! Well, my mechanic and I speculated it may be a bad head gasket, allowing water to leak into the cylinders or oil passages- but not outside the outer perimeter of the head gaskets. This may be proven by seeing bubbles on the dipstick or by having the water analyzed by a dealer for abnormal levels of oil or gas in it. Since my car had

156,000 miles, I decided a head gasket job was enough to decomission it from being my daily driver and got me something a bit more family friendly. (I kept it though and intend to remove the V6 for something more powerful.)

My wifes Grand Caravan blew a head gasket too last year and was puking coolant all over the place. That job cost me $1400- that includes replacing both head gaskets, intake and exhaust gaskets and having the heads milled. The mechanic did a great job in three days and I have'nt had a problem since.

Good luck.

Reply to
john14617