Odometer Problem

I have a 1990 camaro rs. Today, as I was driving on the freeway, I noticed when I would go past 65mph, the odometer started heading to the danger zone. It has never reached that level before. I used to drive faster
than that (like 80mph) and never had any problems. I'm not sure what it is because I do not know much about cars. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm going to make two assumptions here. First, you probably meant Tachometer and not Odometer. My second assumption is that the car has an automatic transmission and you accidently had the shifter in second gear and not drive.
Well, my dad called it the Odometer. Yes, it is an automatic transmission, but it was in overdrive.
AshleeSP wrote:

What is the gauge your talking about labeled? That might helps us know what guage your talking about.
--
Cy Welch
89 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI

Is the gauge you are talking about labeled RPM x 1000? If so, that is the tachometer and measures engine speed. The odometer measures the total miles the vehicle has driven. If it is the tachometer you are talking about and it slipped up into the red area at that slow of a speed in overdrive, it could be a couple things, the cable between transmission and throttle position could be mis-adjusted (not likely unless you just recently had transmission work done), or more likely the transmission is starting to slip. I'd take it immediately to a mechanic and have it looked at before you are stranded somewhere. Could be a couple other things also, but those seem the most likely culprits, IMO at least.
--
Leo

Ok, thank you for letting me know that is the tachometer. I really don't know much about cars (as you can tell).
Well, at least that gives me an idea what could be wrong with the car. Thank you. I'll take it in as soon as I can.