Paint Question ...

Hello ..... Any advice on what I would expect to pay on a very good paint job ( for a 69 camaro .... I plan on keeping it Cortez silver ) Complete car body, needs prepped & painted. Extremely minimal body work ... going for the enamel / clear coat. I am not looking for the extreme perfection, but I do expect near perfect. I have all the emblems & trim ( that I can install myself ). I was told to expect $2500 - $3000 .... Does this sound like a fair guess of what to expect estimates to run me ?? I heard of people paying $ 8,000 and up for paint work .... which would be a reall bummer & a very good reason for my wife to kill me, ... leave me ( or both ) Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bla bla bla

Sounds pretty fair to me. The last time I painted one of my cars I paid $1,000 just for the clearcoat, a quart of paint, and the chemicals and materials that go with the job. I already had the base colors paint on a shelf so all told I probaly had $1,500 in materials. So the $3,000 if a really fair price IMO.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Probably more info than you were looking for here...

I paid $3,500 to take my '89 Z28 (convertible) from red to black. It didn't require any bodywork since it was in near perfect condition. The price included painting the door jambs, inside trunk, underside of the hood, inside engine compartment, etc. Also included a new stripe kit and all new emblems except the 2 lower ones on the rocker panels. The shop said they weren't being made anymore. I found some online, but never got around to buying/installing them. Make sure you don't get overexcited about taking it home as soon as the shop says "you're ready to go". Look at it CLOSE and in *good* lighting first. There were flaws that really stood out with black, but I may have easily overlooked them in another color. I had to tell them it wasn't acceptable and wanted a couple areas redone. It got a little 'tense' in some cases, but I especially wanted near-perfection too since they'd already went over the estimate.

If possibly, make sure you get a written estimate AND warranty in writing when they're done. I also asked the owner to tell me the expertise of the guys that'd be doing the work (wanted to make sure they weren't doing a high school internship or recently-fired from MAACO!). Mine bordered on a 'good old boy' handshake agreement, and the shop went over their verbal estimate by more than $300...then a year later a big bubble appeared in the hood sheetmetal indentation where the louvres are. Luckily they reprepped/reshot the whole hood at no cost, but I could've just as easily have been screwed since I didn't have a piece of paper explaining their warranty.

I'm real happy with it, but the problem now is the interior stands out and looks like dogsh*t in comparision to the paint due to fading over the years. sigh...

Reply to
markd

markd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks Mark ... that was a huge help.