Power Window Motor

I had my window motor go out in my 92 last fall, and the other window went out about a month later. You can go to the dealership and have it done for about $480.00. To install yourself, you can get the motors at your local parts store, to actually mount them, you will need a special rivet gun and some big rivets. I would recommend contacting some ford body guys because its the same gun they use for door handles. Or you can purchase the gun for about $80.00. I found someone who knew what to do but did not have the gun, and bought them the gun to show me how to do the install. You will need 2 people, one to hold the window, one to do the work a drill, to drill out the old rivets new rivets for the install (sold separately for about $1.00 ea, you'll need

3 I think) Takes about 45 minutes per motor

Allen

92 RS
Reply to
Allen Howell

Using nuts & bolts would be easier,but everyone I talked to (approx 5 different mechanics) recommended against using nuts & bolts if I was going to keep the car. They all swore that they would work loose with the torque from the window motors over several years. Sounded kinda far fetched to me, but I have had the car for years and intend to keep it, so I followed their advice. I must say though, the rivets were not flimsy, I was quite impressed with them. Purchasing the gun was kinda pricey but in the end I saved hundreds over letting the chevy dealer do it. I suppose it is personal preference, I don't like to halfway do anything.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Howell

I have the distinct pleasure of replacing the power window motor on the passenger side of my 92 Camaro RS. I have never done this before. What I would like to know is:

What to look out for? Any tricks or pointers? What not to do?

Wether or not I should do it?

Any other answers for questions I have not asked.

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Also, check out:

Has a tech section in there about power window motors. I took the author's advise and used nuts/bolts instead of the flimsy rivets.

Reply to
PeptoP

if you use nut's and bolts just remember to use the none permenent type of lock tite that's what i did every thing has been fine for 2 years now of coures i did not replace the motor i converted a crank system to electric window system took me awhile to get everything adjusted don't use lock tite until you get everything dialed in just fyi

Reply to
ross