quick catalytic converter question

When at high rpm's it makes a sound like backfiring and people have told me it's because the catalytic converter has gone bad. If this is so what's a good high flow cat to use?

Reply to
Larry Durst

Is it only when you let off a high rev? If so, this is typical when a cat back is added. Unignited fuel is ignited in the manifolds by small glowing burrs and goes away after the burrs have worse away. Your cat is easy to check, simply jack it up and hit it a couple times. If it sounds like a box of chicklets, its bad. Typically, a bad cat would produce noticeable power and fuel mileage decreases, as well a limit high revving.

Reply to
98 Camaro

the high flow cat helps the flow alot. it also adds to the tone and sound of ur engine. my brother has a high flow cat 2 1/2 in. piping and a flomaster mufler on his 91 z24 3.1FI and that thing sounds amazing

Reply to
84CamaroBerlinetta305