Re: Cheap plugs?

: Has anyone had a mechanic tell them that Bosch Platinum plugs are "the cheap : ones"? I've got a problem with 2 of my cylinders not firing and the plugs
: are fried with white powdery residue on them. They're changing the plugs : again (I just put the Bosch on last month) and checking the intake and head : gaskets for leaks. I ask because the warranty covers the gaskets, but not : the plugs. And he tells me the warrany WON'T cover the gaskets unless he : changes the plugs. Sound fishy or is this pretty much in order? : thx
Tell him that you want to see the plugs. Sounds fishy to me. Bosch are not cheap and they are typically pretty good. I'd want to see the plugs. Check the post for wear or damage. Check for oily or greasy residue. Check the "L" (spark receiver) for damage and make sure a piston isn't smacking it. If the mech. says they are fried, I wanna' see 'em being pulled in that condition. Just me.
I'm impressed with rapid fires and ACDelco parts in general. (Do not purchase split fires. You only need one good spark, not two+ weak ones.)
For the cost of plugs, I'd purchase them just to preserve the warranty. Stripping down to the head is a P.I.T.A.!
Ida Wanna wrote:

Don't know, but the white powdery stuff says "lean condition" to me. Or could be heat range of the plugs are too hot.
--
el lobo

P.I.T.A...but covered by the warranty!

plugs
plugs
not
he
not
Check
I love PITA's Wendys used to sell them but I havent seen em lately Hmmm.
where is this PITA with a warranty??
<G> Jamie

the
it.
ones.)
Update: El Lobo, you win the chocolate chip cookie. Two cylinders were running VERY lean as the fuel injectors on these 2 cyl were not firing at all. Two fuel injectors which, by the way, are NOT covered by the warranty. Tell me again, why did I pay $1300 for that warranty? Thx, all.

cheap
head
Ida Wanna wrote:

That sux them not being covered by warranty. I thought they covered stuff that are not consumable. You would think injectors would be covered. Does your policy specifically state the injectors are not covered?? I kinda figured no gas to the cylinders, but ya never about these cars today..... Now where is that glass of milk for them cookies ;)
--
el lobo

I had the same on my 96 Z28. The injector was gone and not covered by the GMPP warranty. If you have that type of warranty it has to be specificly mentioned or its excluded. I paid $CAN 1800 for mine and as far as I am concerned it's not worth the paper it is written on (or in this case the plastic card). By the way what year is you car. Thanks.

VERY
fuel
covered??
Fred Newton wrote:

Well, let's see: 1982 Z-28 (bought new) 1994 Lincoln Mark Vlll 1999 Honda Accord 2000 Jetta 1.8 turbo and yep, insurance poor........
el lobo
Slightly off topic, but I hve a 96 Z28, 96k miles. Bout time to change the plugs. Except that I can't even see the %$#@ things! Any hints on how to get in to change them? Every thing else seems to be fine (neighbor owns shop and plugged into computer for quick diagnostic). Mark
There is actually a very special shaped socket adapter that the techs use to do this job. If yo dont use it, add about an hour and a half to the time needed to get to them.
Brian

the
get
and